Man appears in court 16 years after ‘death by dangerous’ crash

A man has appeared in court charged with failing to surrender to bail regarding a fatal crash which happened sixteen years ago.

In 2004, Omar Ali Hassan was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, following an incident on the M4.

Two months on from the crash, Hassan had been due to appear at court. However, on December 21, 2020, a judge was told that the defendant allegedly failed to surrender on October 12, and October 15, 2004.

South Wales Police said it arrested the defendant after receiving reports of a male walking on the M4.

Hassan, formerly of Commercial Road, Newport, did not enter a plea during the short hearing at Newport Crown Court.

Judge Richard Williams adjourned the case until February 23, 2021, before remanding the defendant into custody.

WalesOnline – Wales News