Warning over blue-green algae in Tredegar House lake

Visitors to a popular Newport beauty spot have been warned not to go near the water due to naturally occurring blue-green algae.

Tredegar House warned visitors on Wednesday that the lake in the grounds of the house is currently experiencing an algal bloom, encouraging walkers to stay away from the water.

Read more:Warning over suspected toxic blue-green algae in water around Wales

A tweet from Tredegar House ‘s official account said: “Please be aware that due to recent dry weather, we have naturally occurring blue-green algae in the lake.

“This can be dangerous harmful to humans and fatal to dogs, so please avoid contact with the water and ensure that dogs do not swim or drink the water.”

The lake in the grounds of Tredegar House has a suspected case of blue-green algae
(Image: Mark Lewis)

It is the third occurrence of blue-green algae in Newport in just over a week, with the council warning people to stay away from the water at Fourteen Locks canal pond in Rogerstone, as well as issuing a warning around Lliswerry Pond in Alway, last week due to its presence there. Fishing was still permitted at Lliswerry Pond, however.

Issuing a statement in relation to Lliswerry Pond last week, Newport council said: “Blue-green algae adds oxygen to water during the day but consumes it at night. This can lead to dangerously low oxygen levels which can suffocate fish and other creatures.

“Bloom and scum-forming blue-green algae can produce toxins. These toxins can be very dangerous to animals. In humans, they can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

“Not all blue-green algae blooms and scums are toxic, but you can’t tell just by looking at them, so it’s best to assume they are and follow advice to avoid contact with it and the water.”

Elsewhere in Wales, there has also been a recent occurrence of the algae in Llyn Tegid in Bala, prompting the Snowdonia National Park Authority to issue a warning. Vets Now, the pet equivalent of A&E, has also called on pet owners to take care when walking their dogs near water this summer and to look out for green, blue-green or brown coloured scum or foam.

One of the UK’s leading emergency vets, Dr Laura Playforth, professional standards director at Vets Now, said: “Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, are tiny organisms typically found in freshwater lakes, ponds, reservoirs and slow-moving rivers. It blooms on the surface and is highly toxic to dogs, commonly causing vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, breathing difficulties and coma. It can lead to liver damage and death.”

To get the latest email updates from WalesOnline click here.

WalesOnline – Wales News